This is my blog about the day to day lives of my little flock of pet chickens. They're a happy little flock, although they're totally crackers! If you want a laugh, they'll gladly give you one.


MY BOOK "MUCKY CLUCKERS - TALES FROM THE CHICKEN RUN" IS AVAILABLE AS A PAPERBACK FROM www.muckycluckers.co.uk OR AMAZON http://amzn.to/JDnCGB

For the ebook version, just click the link on the right.





Monday 24 October 2011

Oven-ready chicken - almost

I waffled on in an earlier post about Tu-Tu losing so many feathers overnight.   So Titian decided to show me what an extensive moult really looks like, and what she could achieve in just two days.

This is just the start!

Just look at that thigh!

Titian wonders if this is her best bit


Tu-Tu is mightily impressed

The other thing that has amazed me is how quickly new feathers are appearing and how fast they are growing.   On Saturday feathers flew in all directions as she walked;  there was a brown blizzard when she had a good shake!  Her bare patches were smooth. 

By Sunday morning, there were tiny bumps in her skin, which had broken through by the afternoon to become dark little spikes - still really small.  When I let her out this morning, there had been definite growth overnight.

So in two days I've gone from wondering whether I should attempt to knit her a woolly jumper, to realising she'll be well covered by the time winter sets in.

No comments: